If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Student Center will contribute to the University's priority of building a culture of belonging through support and advocacy services, education, training, and social and educational programming. The Center serves as the H.E.A.R.T. of our community. We use a holistic approach to educate and advocate for our LGBTQIA+ students using restorative practices that transform their lives.
The Administrative Assistant serves as an essential member of the Student Life team and has direct reporting responsibility to the Director of the LGBTQ Student Center. The department serves as an integral unit within the Division of Student Affairs and works in partnership with the Shalala Student Center Complex and the Gender and Sexuality Studies program. The Center also interfaces and collaborates with departments within Student Life: Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Activities and Student Organizations, and the William R. Butler Center for Service and Leadership.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Administrative Responsibilities - 50%
Financial Responsibilities - 40%
- Manage the daily operations of the department, which includes assisting students, organizations, faculty and staff with customer service and information related to the LGBTQ Student Center, Student Life, and Student Affairs.
- Work with the Director and Assistant Director to facilitate the hiring and the necessary onboarding processes for all staff. The Administrative Assistant will also provide day-to-day assistance and support to the Assistant Director including but not limited to serving as a secondary approver for student staff time submissions and office scheduling.
- Collect and prepare data for reports. Assist in the preparation of various reports (monthly, annual, etc.)
- Maintain inventory of basic office supplies for the department, and complete orders as necessary. Responsible for the proper functioning and upkeep of all office systems including but not limited to: the copier, faxes, office computers, phones, television, and staff technology needs within the department.
- Maintain and upkeep office records, files, budgets, and correspondence.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the department; Screen and direct calls and inquiries to appropriate resources. Address email responses to inquiries received through departmental email address, and provide service via phone to callers.
- Provide Outlook calendar scheduling support for the professional office staff.
Programming Responsibilities - 10%
- Process and maintain accurate detailed records of all documents related to purchasing, travel, interdepartmental requisitions, business expense reimbursements, check requisitions and work orders, including accounts payable and accounts receivable according is University policies and procedures.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations tracking revenue, expenses, and future monthly expense projections using excel, workday and other programs.
- Responsible for all Workday systems tasks, transactions and processes. (i.e. attend regular trainings)
- Work with appropriate staff to resolve problems with the accounts and/or documents submitted.
- Manage and reconcile Purchasing Card and Travel Card transactions for departmental staff.
- Assist the Director with annual budget preparation and is responsible for year-end closing of all accounts.
- Act as liaison between the department and outside vendors, agencies and other University Departments.
- Other financial functions as needed.
- Assist with the coordination and administrative requirements for meetings, student focused programs, lectures, special events, signature events (May include some weekend and evening responsibilities) etc. (This may include: Ordering and setting out food, setting up registration tables, and preparing agendas).
- Prepare check requisitions for contracts for departmental events.
- Assists with administration of University of Miami, Student Affairs and Student Life events as necessary, including assistance with Commencement and Orientation.
- Serve on committees as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Three to five years of progressive related experience in an office environment. Experience in a higher education setting is highly desirable.
- Direct experience with managing and reconciling budgets.
- Possess computer based technology skills with data management systems, word processing programs, and financial programs.
- Having a strong working base knowledge of excel and other programs in Microsoft.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in managing multiple priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated strength in the following soft skill sets:
Team player, a strong work ethic, a critical thinker, and a good problem solver.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.