Associate Dean for Research
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
At Carle Illinois, we educate exceptional physician-innovators to deliver high-value, compassionate health care through transformative solutions developed at the intersection of engineering, science and medicine.
This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, physician-scientists, health care providers, innovators, entrepreneurs, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences. As a member of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine executive leadership team, the Associate Dean for Research will provide strategic leadership for policies and procedures related to research and innovation, with responsibility to further foundational, translational, educational and clinical research. The Associate Dean for Research reports to the Dean.
This is a part-time, 12-month, non-tenured position. The individual in this administrative role will provide service on a part-time basis, anticipated to be approximately 30% - 50% effort, with concurrent appointment at UIUC resulting in full-time (100%) university employment, or, possible concurrent employment with the Carle Health System (or other clinical affiliate). Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership (70%)
Research Administration (20%)
- Oversee the research enterprise of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine; serve a critical role in informing and leading initiatives that ensure the College meets its strategic goals in research and education.
- Recommend and implement the research infrastructure of the college.
- Work collaboratively to develop all areas related to the research portfolio of the college, aligning research objectives with the strategic priorities of the college, involving Carle research support staff in discussions and partnership planning for research and innovation projects.
- Support engineering-based medical education, engage with students, and collaborate with Carle Illinois academic departments (Clinical Sciences, and, Biomedical and Translational Sciences), and units, to develop and provide advice related to research, including faculty research development and engagement, staff recruitment, infrastructure, budgets, and funding opportunities. Meet regularly with departmental and unit level leadership in these areas.
- In collaboration with other college units, promote faculty development in innovation, research, and research-related recruitment of faculty and staff.
- Work closely with the Assistant Dean for Research to foster research activities in the college, including collaboration, leadership and oversight of the Health Maker Lab.
- Collaborate with other members of the college's senior leadership team to recommend, establish and implement policies and procedures to encourage and facilitate research.
- Oversee college innovation and research events, including annual (fall and spring) Health Make-A-Thon competitions and the Health Innovation Research Day, part of our annual Innovation Week.
- Work closely with Assistant/Associate Dean for Diversity and Democratization of Health Innovation to engage community groups and individuals for participation in Health Make-a-Thon activities with translation of ideas and innovations.
- Provide leadership to the Carle Illinois Research Advisory Board; collaborate with campus, regional, national and international researchers and engage the advisory board as part of the college's research enterprise.
- Oversee the Carle Illinois Research Mentors program; connect students with world-class faculty to provide students with high touch/high impact training and mentorship opportunities.
- Oversee and manage the Student Publication Fund award process; a process by which students can request funding support for publication fees associated with their research, case studies, and manuscripts.
- Oversee the Innovation Pathway Program; review, monitor, and manage this small-grant program for students.
- Seek out and support funding opportunities for research, partnering with Carle Illinois Advancement as appropriate. Opportunities may bridge Carle Illinois to other colleges and/or units, and to Carle or other clinical affiliates.
- Seek out and support translational entrepreneurial activities to advance student, faculty, and Health Make-a-Thon ideas (from the campus and community) toward intellectual property and patent filing, licensing, and start-up companies. Work closely with the Office of Technology Management, our Research Park, Carle Illinois Advancement, and venture capital firms and investors.
- In consultation with departmental and unit leadership, and with other members of the senior leadership team of the College, prepare and recommend research budgets.
- Interact as appropriate with all levels of University administration and in consultation with the Executive Associate Dean, assist the Dean in representing the research trajectory of the College.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities (10%)
- Support and facilitate collaborative research per the Research Affiliation Agreement supported by the campus and the Carle Foundation, its affiliates and subsidiaries.
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, share oversight and management of external research proposal submissions, grants, and contracts.
- In consultation with the college senior leadership team, oversee shared-equipment and shared-facility policies and procedures, prioritizing utilization of technological and clinical equipment; oversee development and design of new student innovation spaces in the Medical Sciences Building and elsewhere on campus.
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean of Advancement, share oversight and management of industry-supported research and relational agreements with the college.
- Oversee research-related regulatory and compliance issues for Carle Illinois College of Medicine, in compliance with federal and state requirements, campus/University and Carle Health Care Systems requirements and guidelines. This includes collaboration with the University's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Institutional Biosafety Committee, Institutional Research Board matters, and other University and Carle research and safety related regulatory groups.
- Oversee compliance with relevant Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) standards and participate in ongoing accreditation activities.
- Serve as a member of the College's Executive Leadership Team, the Senior Leadership Team, and other teams and task forces as designated by the Dean. As needed, attend other meetings of the college as well as joint and/or external committees and groups.
- As a member of the College's leadership, help foster a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. Support diversity in all aspects of the educational experience and foster positive collegial relationships among students, staff, and faculty.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect; support and engage in equal employment opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
- Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the College's private/public organization and missions.
- Perform other related duties or projects as assigned to further the mission of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
- M.D.; D.O.; or Ph.D. in an area relevant to medical education.
- Record of successful leadership in the area of research in an academic institution, with increasingly higher levels of responsibility over a ten-year period.
- Record of personal successes in securing, executing and closing out externally sponsored research.
- Record of experiences that demonstrate skills and abilities to communicate successfully with stakeholders including faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, students, benefactors, members of the professional community, federal granting agencies, private foundations, and business partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty and senior leadership.
- Record of highly ethical conduct, respect for confidentiality, high level of professionalism, collegiality and attention to detail.
- Currently employed at the University of Illinois or Carle Health Systems; appointed or eligible to hold a faculty appointment in the college.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Successful experience facilitating federally sponsored research.
- Successful experience facilitating industry-sponsored research.
- Service to a federal agency in the area of research support.
- Experience with national and/or international collaborations in achieving research objectives.
Procedure for Candidacy:
- Significant familiarity with procedures for securing, executing and closing out externally sponsored research; knowledge of clinical research is preferred.
- Skills and abilities to provide strategic and administrative leadership in research to work with other research administrators in the public academic institution and private health system.
- Knowledge of relevant LCME standards preferred.
For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received no later than May 10, 2021
Interested candidates must create a candidate profile through https:job.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Cover Letter expressing applicant's interest and vision for the Associate Dean of Research roleApplicant's CVDiversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) statement (1 page maximum) describing the applicant's awareness, past efforts, and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and how their advancement of DEI will contribute to excellence in CI MED.Names and contact information of 3 internal or external references who can attest to the applicant's potential impact and significance of their contributions to research and health innovations, to DEI, and to the future of healthcare.
For more information regarding the application procedures, please contact Carle Illinois College of Medicine Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application packages will be reviewed by a selection committee composed of faculty and administrative leaders in Carle Illinois. Interviews of finalists will be scheduled after the application deadline. Appointment is expected to begin on August 16, 2021
Questions regarding this opportunity should be directed to the Chair of the Selection Committee, Dr. Stephen Boppart (email@example.com), Executive Associate Dean and Chief Diversity Officer, Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Carle IL COM
Associate Dean for Research - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (144810)
Carle IL COM Administration