ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Posting Number: SRGV6588
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: South Padre Island, Texas
Department: College of Sciences / School of Earth Environmental and Marine Sciences
Scope of Job:
Under limited supervision and with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, performs advanced research work by coordinating the development, implementation, and monitoring of specialized research projects. Manages the upkeep, training, and supervision of specialized research equipment within area of assigned responsibility. Effectiveness of road mitigation structures in preventing ocelot and associated wildlife road mortalities
Description of Duties:
• Coordinates, plans, develops, conducts, monitors, and analyzes research projects to include interpreting results, developing nonstandard tests, recommending technology-based solutions, or determining computational strategies; formulates and monitors long-range research objectives, programs, and priorities; reviews, analyzes, and evaluates the impact of legislation, regulations, and policies affecting current research.
• Assists in formulating research objectives and programs and determines the scope and methodologies of research projects and areas to be evaluated; provides consultation and technical advice on research methods and techniques; works with researchers on the development of experiments and interpretation of results for research and teaching.
• Develops policies and procedures used in conducting and administering research and evaluation activities; develops quality assurance procedures and conducts quality assurance reviews on research projects; develops, improves, or customizes products, equipment, formulas, processes, or analytical methods; develops data models and databases; may develop new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
• Writes technical papers /reports and prepares standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, or tests; directs, coordinates, or advises personnel in test procedures.
• Coordinates the collection, compilation, and analyzing of research data to include the use of statistical methods and relational databases to analyze data sets; prepares and provides presentations for professional organizations, governmental entities, and the public; communicates research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
• Ensures adherence to laboratory standards and practices to maximize safety and operational effectiveness; prepares and schedules equipment use during laboratory/research sessions; may diagnose equipment malfunctions, dismantle, and repair equipment; maintains laboratory instruments to ensure proper working order and troubleshoots malfunctions when needed; compiles and analyzes test information to determine process or equipment operating efficiency or to diagnose malfunctions.
• Trains users on the operation and data management of research equipment.
• Handles all issues relating to laboratory supplies, including ordering materials, maintaining inventory, and proper storage.
• Participates in proposal writing and coordination for external funds for equipment acquisitions; may be a Principle Investigator or Co-Principle Investigator.
• Complies with all State and University policies.
• May be responsible for generating external funds to supplement/sustain a percentage of salary.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.
May plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
Four (4) years of relevant disciplinary experience, related to the statement of duties and responsibilities. Knowledge of statistical concepts and methods and their application to research analysis; of measurement, testing, and evaluation; and of research methods, principles, techniques, and philosophies.
Experience with camera traps and spatial analyses are preferred. Demonstrated record of publication in peer-reviewed journals, including at least one first author publication.
Skilled in conducting qualitative and quantitative research and in using computers, software, and statistical tools and programs.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public. May work some evenings and/or weekends. Ability to plan, organize, and oversee research projects, evaluate research data, ensure the development of measuring instruments with respect to reliability, relevance, and validity, interpret and publish research findings, and communicate effectively. Strong writing and quantitative skills.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 03/13/2023
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 08/01/2024
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
Posted about 5 hours ago
Posted about 5 hours ago
Posted about 5 hours ago
Subscribe to job alerts and upload your resume!
*By registering with our site, you agree to our