Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed. This position requires an employee to be onsite every other week.
The Lithium Ion Cell Strategist, Engineering Technical Leader, ETL is for a Senior Strategist with deep technical knowledge of electrochemical rechargeable energy storage technology with direct responsibility to lead advanced battery cell development and management of cell performance to requirements. This individual would have deep knowledge and practice of battery hardware, battery management systems and their integration with cell design. The explosive growth of hybrid and electric vehicle markets will require a significant contribution from a seasoned and knowledgeable professional. This professional will oversee development of new cell designs for GM's growing Electrification portfolio in support of our exciting new corporate vision: Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. This position is generally termed "BOM Family Owner" responsible for the Battery Cell Bill Of Materials and technology roadmap.
Additional Job DescriptionRequirements:
- Set strategic supply direction and coordinate Battery Cell product roadmaps.
- Develop and coordinate product best practices and lessons learned from current and previous programs to improve future designs.
- Develop and manage Battery Cell technology and component reuse strategy.
- Lead technical design reviews and sourcing activities involving new suppliers and technologies, as well as existing suppliers and technologies.
- Work directly with senior technical personnel and project managers in the planning and execution of technical activities on complex projects related to system and technical product development.
- Work with systems, battery pack teams; specify and balance system requirements through negotiation and balancing of the interdisciplinary requirements for optimized system and subsystem performance.
- Develop Component Statement of Requirements (SOR), Component Technical Specifications (CTS) and Bill of Design (BOD) documents.
- Manage *S PRTS safety tether and read-across work.
- Provide read-across for non-safety related development and field issues.
- Responsible to drive resolution and closure of all battery cell module related PAL's.
- Support QRD activities for battery cell modules.
- Integrate all cell lessons learned back into CTS/SOR/BOD/DFMEA by working through the Electrification Hardware team.
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with engineering departments and customers.
- Coordinate the efforts of technical support staff and ensure progress of assigned projects.
- Comprehend Battery Cell product requirements needs globally and lead global benchmarking activities. Stay abreast of new technology and competitive products, to enable highly competitive new designs.
- Lead component advanced technology strategy and development, and push for potentially disruptive change.
- Be familiar with methods and tools such as modeling, simulation, systems analysis, optimization and Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) to apply to system requirements definition and roll down.
- Provide technical leadership mentoring to Cell Technical Specialists, Design/Release and Testing Engineers.
- Lead global Cell Technology Forum to improve requirements, testing, and benchmarking.
- Travel as required (domestic & international) to support PDT issue resolution and supplier assessment, development and approvals.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering Degree
- 10 years of experience working with Value Stream, material characterization and selection and for Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) Systems; Nickel, Cobalt, Manganese, Lithium, Electrolyte, Separator, Solid State, Li Metal
- 10 years of experience in automotive or energy storage battery cell development, testing, manufacture, research or procurement
- Extensive experience in Lithium Ion Cell Safety and Lithium Ion Battery System safety
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with domestic and international business partners
- Demonstrated ability to develop supply base and establish long term relationship with strategic suppliers
- Ability to work non-standard hours to collaborate with overseas suppliers
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Specific knowledge of engineering mechanics, electronics, physics, materials and manufacturing methods
- Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to engineering and project management
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of automotive systems
- Experience with Bills of Design, Statement of Requirements, DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), and Design Reviews
- Working knowledge of battery cell, module and battery testing and development
- Working knowledge of battery cell, module and battery manufacturing
- Working knowledge of Engineering Work Orders and Change Management processes
- DFSS Black Belt
- MS Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering Degree
- Breadth of experience across battery cell manufacturing, research, testing, material development, procurement, strategy
- External leadership experience in technical forums
- Publications, Patents, Records of Invention
- Demonstrated leadership of direct reports
- 15+ years of experience in the energy storage or automotive electrification marketplace, with main emphasis on Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV)
- Design For Six Sigma/Lean Six Sigma
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.