This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM's global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
About the role:
The Enterprise Technology Services Cloud Center of Excellence in General Motors Information Technology is powering innovation and modernization. We enable high efficiency and secure IT solutions by supporting vertical teams with the hosting of their enterprise applications on modern cloud platforms.
The Cloud Architect will have the opportunity to craft the architecture and design of solutions across a spectrum of technologies supporting the move to cloud native modernization from legacy platforms as part of projects and special initiatives. GM's preferred public cloud provider is Microsoft Azure. Azure skills are therefore critical to be successful in this role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Additional Job DescriptionMinimum Qualifications:
- Responsible for synthesizing functional as well as nonfunctional requirements, security requirements, data classifications, evaluate implementation feasibility and able to ask relevant questions to clarify needs and apply to cloud architecture.
- Responsible for defining cloud solution architecture to include evaluation, selection and integration of vital technical components that realize the defined functional, non-functional and security requirements. Strong emphasis on effective communication, ability to socialize and develop consensus.
- Ability to comprehend established IT standards, demonstrate approved cloud technology stack to define architecture and acquire vital design approvals through delivery phases. Address operational challenges to keep cloud platform secure and current.
- Identify and evaluate new software needed to deliver and/or manage the applications through the enterprise review process as needed, to establish new GM standards.
- Applying a proven understanding of application development, able to craft new cloud applications and clearly communicate to developers. Can lead application transformation to PaaS and serverless. Able to use knowledge of microservice and cloud native designs to specify modern applications for development.
- Capable of managing all technical aspects of large enterprise projects including the specification of code, infrastructure platforms, networks, load balancers, firewalls, databases, load and functional testing. Capable of leading troubleshooting team where needed.
- A good understanding of all aspects of security, able to work with the security team to ensure all solutions meet industry leading levels of security compliance.
- Ability to identify technical debt, document deviations and propose remediation.
- Bachelor's degree in IT related field, Masters preferred
- Microsoft Azure Architecture qualifications required
- 8 years of consistent record developing/deploying IT systems in a professional/corporate environment
- 4 additional years experience leading architecture for project teams and project implementation
- 4 years experience in architecting for security and identity preferred.
- 4 years experience in a specific architecture and technology space such as Java, .net, etc.
- Professional programming experience (in addition to college)
- Experience of developing ARM or Bicep required
- Knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes required
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.