Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County. Physicians provide a comprehensive range of primary and specialty care services at the 327-bed hospital and outpatient facilities both on and off of the Eskenazi Health downtown campus as well as at 10 Eskenazi Health Center sites located throughout Indianapolis.
Job Role Summary
This position exists to provide timely and accurate clinical coding and abstraction of Emergency Department (ED) services, to facilitate accurate reimbursement, research, and PI initiatives. This position is responsible for, but not limited to, facility coding, abstraction, and charge entry for the Emergency Department including the Urgent Visit Center, Emergency Physician Immersion Clinic, Center of Hope, and Trauma.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Leadership and Communication
• Proactively contributes to Eskenazi Health's mission: Advocate, Care, Teach and Serve with special emphasis on the vulnerable population of Marion County. Models Eskenazi Health's values of Professionalism, Respect, Innovation, Development and Excellence
• Supports departmental and organization-wide initiatives
• Communicates, coordinates, and collaborates with others
Service: Encompasses service to all customers served: patients, families, physicians, and community
• Interacts with customers professionally and with courtesy
• Strictly adheres to the policies on Confidentiality of Patient Medical Records
Quality: Encompasses quality, performance improvement, and regulatory requirements
• Coding and Abstracting: Identifies and assigns the appropriate diagnosis, procedure, and evaluation and management (E&M) codes in accordance with coding guidelines and ED standards. Maintains acceptable levels of performance related to productivity, accuracy, and quality standards
• Problem Solving: Utilizes available resources appropriately to maintain quality and consistency in coding, abstraction, and charge entry processes. Follows a defined process to query the medical staff for completion and/or clarification of documentation necessary to ensure coding compliance and accuracy
• Software Applications: Utilizes applicable software to retrieve documentation, abstract data/codes, and retrieve work lists. The identified systems include OnBase, Care Web, McKesson, Gopher, 3M Encoder
• Notifies ED management if inappropriate or unethical coding practices are identified or if there is uncertainty with legibility of the record, questionable, or unclear documentation
• Performance Improvement: Correctly identifies ED records that meet performance improvement initiatives. Provides feedback with changes in regulatory and reimbursement documentation requirements as well as identifies opportunities for documentation improvement and education
Financial and Operational Management: Encompasses the effective stewardship of resources for the department
• Charge Entry: Maintains a working knowledge of the Service Item Master (SIM) for the Emergency Department. Captures charges accurately based on documentation, and integrates charges and codes appropriately. Makes suggestions for additions to the SIM upon recognition of new procedures and/or supplies.
• Medical Necessity: Recognizes cases that require specific medical necessity coverage diagnoses, and applies Local Coverage Determination (LCD) policies as necessary
• Meets departmental standards for productivity, accuracy, and quality
• Maintains all equipment in good operational condition, and notifies ED management if equipment is damaged or additional supplies are needed
People: Encompasses the engagement of our employees and other departments to foster excellence in patient care and to meet departmental/organizational goals
• Solves routine job-related issues, and exercises sound judgment when requesting assistance from management
• Sets and adjusts priorities
• Responsible for maintaining credentials by accumulating necessary continuing education (CE) credit hours
Growth: Includes the responsibility and accountability for professional development
• Requires computer skills, and be able to learn new skills quickly
• Requires a high level of concentration, self-motivation, attention to detail, and persistent follow-up
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!