The University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics department of Professional Coding Division is seeking a Coding Representative to assign ICD-10 codes and CPT codes for professional facility outpatient services and professional hospital inpatient services in the dermatology area.
As a Medical Coder for University of Iowa Health Care Clinics and Hospital you will support a culture of Service Excellence by delivering high quality customer service in a fast-paced environment and maintain composure in difficult situations. You must have the skills to provide accurate and comprehensive information (written and verbally) to clinic personnel, physicians, administration, providers, and co-workers in a professional manner. You must demonstrate compassion, empathy and respect to patient rights and confidentiality.
This position is eligible to participate in remote work. Remote work must be performed at an offsite location within the State of Iowa. Training will be held ONSITE at the HSSB building at a length determined by the supervisor. Remote eligibility will be evaluated upon a satisfactory job training opportunity. Successful candidates must comply with requirements of the remote work program and related policies.
- Review medical records to assign CPT/HCPCS and/or ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnosis and procedure codes consistent with coding compliance policies, ICD-10-CM/PCS Official Coding Guidelines, and regulatory guidelines.
- Monitor compliance/coding standards and policies to ensure UI Health Care receives full and accurate reimbursement for services that comply with HIPAA as well as coding and payment rules/regulations.
- Communicate with physicians, residents, staff, and other providers to resolve situations where the recommended coded service is not supported in the health record documentation and/or not consistent with coding and regulatory guidelines.
- Communicate with physicians, residents, staff, and other providers when additional information is needed for accurate code assignment.
- Meet targets regarding volume and accuracy of codes assigned.
- Adopt and incorporate initiatives that improve compliance and reduce risks to the institution.
- Assist in providing and analyzing reports related to documentation issues, coding patterns, physician productivity, reimbursement trends, etc.
- Meet targets set by Coding Supervisor and/or Management regarding volume and accuracy of codes assigned.
- Participate in internal coding and development training when needed.
Coding Representative Department:
Professional Coding Division (Patient Financial Services) Staff Type:
Professional & Scientific Percent of Time:
100% Pay Grade:
$43,000 to $55,000 Location:
Remote/Hospital Support Services Buildings (HSSB) in Coralville, IA
This position is eligible to participate in remote work. Remote work must be performed at an offsite location within the State of Iowa. Training will be held ONSITE
at the HSSB building at a length determined by the supervisor. Remote eligibility will be evaluated upon a satisfactory job training opportunity. Successful candidates must comply with requirements of the remote work program and related policies.Position Qualifications: Education Required
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and/or experience. Required Qualifications:
- Proficiency with standard office computer software applications (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Medical terminology knowledge.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of HIPAA laws and regulations.
- Excellent, effective written and verbal communication skills to achieve and provide quality customer service by demonstrating positive professional demeanor at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse professional and patient population including the ability to prioritize and coordinate inquiries from patients, staff, and administration.
- Strong attention to detail with accuracy to achieve or exceed organizational and individual performance goals.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex and ambiguous situations with minimal supervision.
- Eligibility for certification as RHIT, RHIA, CPC, or equivalent through a nationally recognized credentialing body such as AHIMA or AAPC; must receive full certification within 6 months of hire.
- 1-3 years' experience with medical coding and/or billing preferred, will consider applicants with less experience.
- Surgical coding experience
- Knowledge, understanding and/or experience with CMS regulations or industry standards
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Completion of ICD-10 training curriculum.
- Current certification as RHIT, RHIA, CPC, CCS, CCSP or equivalent.
- Completion of a diploma or degree program in Health Information Management
- Experience and knowledge of Patient Financial Services' functions, systems, processes, & policies.
Application Process: In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" for the submission:
- (optional) Cover Letter
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the date of closing.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Maddie Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Classification Title: Coding Representative
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: Remote within Iowa
- Pay Level: 2B
- Starting Salary Minimum: 43000
- Starting Salary Maximum: 55000
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Maddie Lin
- Contact Email: email@example.com