webmaster 1Director of Residence Life Posted May 24, 2021 · Add Comment
Barton College is seeking candidates for a full-time, 12-month Director of Residence life. This is a live-in position with on-call responsibilities. The Director is responsible for providing vision and direction for the Office of Residence Life. This position plays a critical role in the planning and development of co-curricular learning and student support at the College.
Reporting to the Provost, the successful candidate will be responsible for the daily administration of the total residence life program and supervising professional Coordinators of Residence Life, undergraduate student staff Residence Hall Directors, and Resident Assistants. The Director of Residence Life is responsible for the development of housing and residence life serving the campus residential population with innovation, creativity, and excellence. The Director of Residence Life will serve as a Title IX Deputy Coordinator, under the leadership of the Director of DEI, Conduct, and Title IX. The Director assists in serving as an administrative resource to students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, campus administration, and alumni/alumnae.
Key ResponsibilitiesAdministration, General
- Serve as the representative for the Residence Life office on College committees, as requested and appointed.
- Review, research, and evaluate, as necessary, all aspects of the Residence Life program to ensure optimum understanding of the student/staff needs, concerns, attitudes, etc.; and develop-with appropriate staff assistance-policies, programs, and procedures designed to meet those needs.
- Oversee all residential facilities' openings and closings, room assignments, services, safety and security, and associated documentation.
- Oversee and administer room assignments, room changes, and assist in maintaining accurate floor rosters.
- Oversee the room, furniture, and key inventory system.
- Oversee the coordination and administration of the room selection process for housing.
- Assume fiscal responsibility for the Office of Residence Life; budgets, grants, and fundraising.
- Utilize Jenzabar EX system to manage all residential student housing and applications and provide training to professional staff members on system.
- Provide oversight and assume responsibility for the coordination, training, and use of the Barton card access system.
- Manage the day-to-day relationship with AVI, Barton's food service provider.
Administration of Residence Life
- Assume responsibility for the selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of the professional residence life staff and the Administrative Assistant for Student Life.
- Assume responsibility, with the assistance of the Coordinators, for the selection, training, supervision, evaluation, and assignment of the student Residence Hall Directors and Resident Assistant staff.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of student development theory, student personnel administration, and concepts of staff development, and students' rights and responsibilities.
- Design, develop, and revise, as necessary, the Residence Life Manual.
- Together with other professional staff members, lead the development and implementation of the Office of Residence Life goals, objectives, and learning outcomes, consistent with College purpose and mission.
Residence Life/Community Development
- Assume responsibility for the development and implementation of a residential environment that instructs student rights and responsibilities, service learning, personal growth, and development and leadership, with measurable operational and student learning outcomes.
- Assist in the adjudication of student conduct cases, as requested by the Director of DEI, Conduct, and Title IX.
- Have a working knowledge of College Regulatory requirements, including the College Regulatory Manual; Campus Clery requirements; Title IX requirements; and Federal, State, and local laws related to housing and residential life operation, including but not limited to FERPA, Fire Safety, etc.
- Serve as an active liaison between the College Administration, faculty, staff, and the student.
Crisis Response/On-Call Responsibilities
- The Director of Residence Life is expected to be on campus and available to residents on a daily basis and must sleep on campus Sunday through Thursday nights.
- Perform on-call duty as designated for approximately seven to eight weeks per academic year
- Assume responsibility for coordinating crisis response actions for residence life (i.e. campus emergencies, suicide, deaths, injuries, etc.)
- Partner with all departments within the Division of Student Engagement and Success to advance departmental functions, programs, and events and to advance the College purpose and mission.
- Assume responsibility to advance and develop additional programs and duties necessary for the implementation of Student Engagement and Success and institutional strategic priorities.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Provost.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience
- Three years of experience as a professional in housing and student life administration.
- A Master's degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, Counseling, or a related field is required.
- Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately.
- Proven track record of reliability, responsibility, and integrity.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
Please submit application materials including a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be checked until the candidate is informed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or email@example.com.
This job has expired.