I Accountability Objectives:
Coordinates activities which relate to the flow of unit and patient information. This includes but is not limited to: phone management, maintenance of patient charts, ordering and stocking of all materials necessary for unit operations and patient chart maintenance. The Health Unit Coordinator collaborates with nursing and medical staff as well as other hospital departments to facilitate excellent customer service to our patients and visitors. They are integral to the efficient running of the unit on the shift to which they are assigned.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
• High School diploma or GED required or equivalent.
B. Licensure / Certification
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Certification by an accredited Unit Secretary/Health Unit Coordinator training course or equivalent working experience.
- Behavioral Medicine Associates: Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) required within 3 months of start of position.
- Successful completion (greater than 85%) of Health Unit Coordinator pre-employment test.
- New hire employees are required to successfully complete a 180 day probationary period during which either the hospital or employee may initiate removal of employee from job following provisions of collective bargaining agreement..
- Hospital employees transferring into this position are required to complete a 90 day trial period during which either the hospital or employee may initiate removal of the employee from the job following provisions of collective bargaining agreement.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
Previous Health Unit Coordinator/Unit Secretary working experience desired.III Duties / Responsibilities:
Greets all staff, physicians and visitors presenting to the department/unit with warm, friendly customer service interactions. Facilitates inquiries from family to patient related to their delivery status or condition while maintaining patient confidentiality at all times. Creates a positive service-focused experience with each patient/family interaction. Demonstrates attentive and responsive patient and service-focused behaviors with all telephone and verbal communications, including placing and receiving calls from physicians, other departments, and visitors. Maintains and communicates an accurate patient roster/census and available ready beds and assists in the assignment of patient rooms. Initiates and maintains the patient record. This includes preparing the chart for procedure/surgery, stuffing forms, filing reports and thinning the chart accordingly. Transcribes all physician orders via the computer system or manually when necessary. Communicates all stat orders to the patient's nurse. (Evidenced by RNCM feedback) Enters hospital charge data into the computer system to assist with preparation of patient charges. (Evidenced by charge report) Schedules diagnostic procedures and treatments. (Evidenced by random chart audits, RNCM feedback) Orders all clerical and operational supplies specific to the nursing unit and maintains expenses within budgetary guidelines. Enforces controlled access and visitation to the department by maintaining visitor sign in logs and visitor validation, utilzing technology as needed. Seeks immediate assistance in any conflict resolutions/security breaches. Responds to and relays patient requests in a timely manner to appropriate persons by use of the intercom beeper system. (Evidenced by patient feedback, supervisor observation) Assists as directed during a patient emergency situation. (Evidenced by supervisor observation) 12 Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient, encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.•
In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively participates in on-going education and communication regarding revenue management.•
In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests services for maintaining equipment as needed.•
In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment, and care management, performing these activities concurrently with provision of care throughout the shift.V Dept/Unit Specific:
V Working Conditions:
- Verify that consent has been obtained upon patient entry to the hospital or unit and if not, obtain consent for care.
- Handle all unit mail and distribute accordingly.
- Work collaboratively with the admitting department to ensure the smooth admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
- Supports organizational, division and unit strategic goals, programs, and activities, and actively participates in unit based Shared Governance activities.
- Evaluates own performance utilizing input from peeers, team members, customers, and develops a plan for continual improvement.
- Maintains competency by adhering to unit based requirements for yearly mandatory reviews and continuing education.
- Orders all clerical and operational supplies specific to the nursing unit.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Working in the patient care environment may result in exposure to communicable diseases and hazardous substances.
- Working weekends and holidays is necessary to meet staffing needs.
- Work on other units and on diferent shifts may be assigned as necessary to also meet staffing requirements.
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
This job has expired.