Job Title: Laborer (Non-Union)
Location: Greater Houston Area (Primarily including Bryan/College Station)
Reports to: Job Site or Shop Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Human Resources
Approved By: Operations
Prepared Date: October 2019
Updated Date: September 2021
Gowan/Garrett, Inc is a wholly-owned subsidiary of EMCOR Group, Inc. EMCOR is the world's leading provider of mechanical and electrical construction and facilities services, including planning, consulting, and operations and maintenance.
We are Houston's largest single-source provider of premier construction, tenant build-outs, fabrication, HVAC contracting, and mechanical services.
Over the years we've built solid, long-term client relationships that have resulted in 85% repeat business.
We are a subsidiary of EMCOR Group a Fortune 500® company. Combine EMCOR's financial strength and award-winning, industry-leading safety program with Gowan Mechanical Services' wide range of capabilities and extensive HVAC and mechanical construction experience, and you have the ideal team to meet all your facilities requirements and ensure a solid return on your investment.
Gowan/Garrett, Inc is seeking Laborers to join our team! Laborers are expected to perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. He or she may operate hand and power tools of all types, clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble, debris and other waste materials. Laborers should be able to take direction from others and assist employees on the job to ensure the proper and complete execution of the contracts for which they are assigned. Laborers will likely assist other craft workers. The position requires completion of a 90-day probationary period. Training will be provided. Applicants with Military experience are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following. Other duties will likely be assigned.
- Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones;
- Clean or prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards;
- Travel to job sites primarily to Bryan/College Station and other sites in the Greater Houston area;
- Load, unload, or identify building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications;
- Retrieve tools, materials and equipment for project needs while maintaining company tool tracking requirements.
- Responsible for keeping job site and/or warehouse tidy; duties may involve sweeping and other methods to promote health and safety;
- Assist with warehouse upkeep, inventory material control, and fleet management both in-house and at field job sites;
- Loading/unloading trucks and trailers;
- Physical labor (hand digging, duct sealing, etc)
- Ensure maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment when necessary;
- Perform additional assignments as required by the project manager, operating needs of the company or as directed by Management;
- Comply with all Company operating policies, procedures, OSHA, and safety programs as established.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.POSTION REQUIREMENTS
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Ability to perform job tasks involving physical labor at construction sites;
- Must be comfortable using hand and power tools;
- Ability to read and understand plans and instructions;
- Working knowledge of the construction industry, OSHA, and relevant safety practices.
- Typical work hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00am to 4:00pm. Nights and weekends may be required based on business needs.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
- Must demonstrate integrity, honesty, and professionalism.
- Must prioritize and organize work in a fast-paced multi-task environment.
- Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employees, management, suppliers, and customers.
- Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
Must have the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English, cooperate, and collaborate with multiple levels of management.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, see, talk, and hear. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move fifty (50) pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to commute to field locations. The employee must have the ability to navigate around job site locations.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Field environments may vary based on project, manufacturing, or weather conditions. Weather conditions range from 100' or higher in the summer and below freezing in the winter. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.DISCLAIMER
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled