Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. (NASDAQ: DXCM), develops and markets Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) systems for ambulatory use by people with diabetes and by healthcare providers for the treatment of people with diabetes. The company is the leader in transforming diabetes care and management by providing CGM technology to help patients and healthcare professionals better manage diabetes. Since the company's inception, Dexcom has focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions that are best in class - while empowering the community to take control of diabetes. Dexcom reported full-year 2021 revenues of $2.48B, a growth of 27% over 2020. Headquartered in San Diego, California, with additional offices in the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific, the company employs over 7,000 people worldwide.
To foster growth and innovation at Dexcom, this individual will support all aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) detailed below including IP procurement, enforcement, and competitive analysis. This individual will work with and advise internal clients at all levels of R&D and business leadership on various IP matters.
As a key team member, this individual must be a highly motivated self-starter, who is comfortable collaborating as part of a team, communicating directly with senior leaders, and working independently.
The Lead IP Legal Counsel will support the strategic management of intellectual property matters for the company including supporting a global IP portfolio, performing landscape and freedom to operate analyses.
This is a hybrid role which requires the individual be available to be on-site in the San Diego office as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting technical and business stakeholders on patent matters
- Implementing a patent strategy for Dexcom's innovations
- Interacting with patent offices throughout the world to strengthen and accelerate the issuance of Dexcom's patented innovations
- Prosecuting domestic and global patent matters and managing outside patent prosecution counsel both domestically and globally
- Coordinating and reviewing patent research and analysis projects, including prior art searches, competitive intelligence, landscapes, patentability analyses, portfolio analyses, infringement/non-infringement analyses, and validity/invalidity analyses
- Coordinating and managing invention disclosure review and patent harvesting projects
- Working with in-house patent professionals in managing patent harvesting and prosecution matters
- Providing internal education and trainings related to IP to various technical groups
- Supporting IP litigation
- Providing other IP support in the areas of patents, copyrights, trademarks, and open source as needed
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience with emphasis on patent prosecution in the field of security, wireless communications and/or electrical and electronics (EE)
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or engineering, electrical engineering or other engineering discipline combined with experience in the fields of software or electrical engineering
- Admitted to a US state bar and USPTO registration in good standing
Exempt Salary Details:
- Strong industry experience in one or more of the following fields: medical device, wireless communications, EE, software
- Experience working at a top law firm and/or as in-house counsel
- Experience with due diligence, infringement and validity analysis, and/or litigation
- Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) in the above disciplines is a plus but not required
- The annual base salary range for this role is $149,000 to $248,300. Final compensation package will ultimately depend on factors including relevant experience, skillset, knowledge, business needs and market demand.
Develops and maintains company intellectual property protections and processes, including patent applications, trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, licensing and research agreements, publications and intellectual property aspects of contracts and agreements. Prepares legal opinions and analyses of patents. Reviews and drafts significant corporate legal documents. Evaluates the validity of competitors' patents and potential company product infringement upon valid patents of competitors. Responsible for pre-patent filing review, providing legal advice to the company concerning the patent viability of its inventions and the advisability of filing patent applications covering the company's inventions. Provides other general legal advice and represents the company in matters relating to intellectual property law. Requires a law degree.Functional/Business Knowledge
- Having wide-ranging experience and uses professional concepts and knowledge of company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Possesses knowledge of advanced concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Viewed as expert in the field within the Function.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation.
- Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
ManagementField SalesExperience and Education
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other colleagues.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree and a minimum of 8-12 years of related experience.
- At this level a graduate degree may be desirable with 4 years of related experience.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Dexcom Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Dexcom's AAP may be viewed upon request by contacting Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision at this link.
UnitedHealthcare creates and publishes the Machine-Readable Files on behalf of Dexcom. To link to the Machine-Readable Files, please click on the URL provided: https://transparency-in-coverage.uhc.com/.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Dexcom. Only authorized staffing and recruiting agencies may use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes on specific requisitions. Dexcom does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to the Talent Acquisition team, Dexcom employees or any other company location. Dexcom is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
This job has expired.