GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Provides direct and indirect nursing care as part of a nursing care plan or a prescribed medical regime that has been incorporated into a nursing care plan.
The staff LPN in Obstetrics and Gynecology participates in nursing care and services to patients, including assessment of health status, gathering and interpreting information, providing health teaching, and performing specific nursing functions. Additionally, he/she collaborates with other health care providers to ensure quality and continuity of care. The LPN bears full responsibility for the care he/she provides. The LPN may delegate nursing activities within his/her scope of practice to administratively assigned staff, such as medical assistants. LPNs perform nursing functions with the exception of rendering a clinical judgment; can delegate to others, though not to RNs, NPs, or MDs; and communicate with and to others on the team.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Participates in planning and implements nursing interventions and functions, including but not limited to:
- Assesses an individual's basic health status, records and related health data.
- Participates in analyzing and interpreting an individual's basic health status and information.
- Documents own activities in a timely manner in the patient record.
- Provides health education to facilitate patient treatment plan.
- Actively empowers patient and family to effectively manage their health care and navigate the health care system.
- Respects and supports patient and family's cultural beliefs and values, individual needs, health goals and treatment preferences.
Collaborates with all members of the health care team to ensure coordination of care as indicated.
- Administers medications ordered by a licensed prescriber
- Administers immunizations, vaccinations and allergy injections ordered by a licensed prescriber
- Performs phlebotomy for ordered labs
- Provides assistance in the OR and PACU as needed for IVF procedures
- Follows up on lab results as directed by the primary nurse or designee
- Executes on plan of care including patient correspondence and triage as directed by primary nurse or designee
Participates in activities that ensure safe, efficient and cost-effective care.
- May act as patient flow manager
- Actively engages in creating a healthy, respectful work environment
- Participates in health activities in the community as indicated e.g. vaccination and screening clinics
- Identifies opportunities, and solutions, to ensure a safe, efficient and cost-effective practice environment.
- Demonstrates compliance with regulatory requirements
- Participates in quality and safety initiatives
- Generates innovative ideas to improve care delivery and work flow in the practice environment.
- Precepts and mentors new members of the team.
- Participates in departmental and organizational committees and initiatives.
All other duties as indicated within scope of practice
- Maintains and updates skills based on current nursing practice.
- Adheres to departmental requirements for required training.
- Identifies specific learning needs and goals and collaborates with nursing leadership in developing a plan to meet them.
Proficiency venipuncture and injection administration.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable):
Current licensure as a practical nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Graduate of an approved practical nursing program
Maintains knowledge and competencies reflective of current practice
Previous experience in Ambulatory Care preferred
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): .
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
Patient care in an out-patient, academic, obstetrics and gynecology care setting.
Involves some weekend coverage.Qualifications
Proficiency venipunctureand injection administration.
Excellent writtenand verbal communication skills
LICENSES,CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable):
Current licensure asa practical nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Graduateof an approved practical nursing program
Maintainsknowledge and competencies reflective of current practiceEEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.