Based in Rochester, NY, the Manager, Corporate Communications - Western NY is a high-profile position responsible for managing day-to-day corporate communications in support of Avangrid Networks' WNY business footprint. The position is responsible for both internal and external communications.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Corporate Communications - NY and will work closely with colleagues in other states, as well as, regulatory affairs, government affairs, legal and operations. The person in this role will provide communications support to enhance the company's reputation and its standing with all stakeholders including media, customers, elected officials and employees in the communities the company serves. This role has a counterpart in the Eastern NY footprint and coordination of activities with this colleague will be imperative to success in this role. The Manager will also serve as the Public Information Officer during storm and crisis events. This may include work during non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends. This position does require a significant amount of writing and storytelling.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serves as day-to-day spokesperson for the Western NY footprint, serving as first point of contact for local media that cover the company. This may include on-camera interviews with local media.
• Actively pitches stories to the press to gain positive media coverage of the companies.
• Coordinates, preps and staffs interviews for company personnel.
• Manages coordination of incoming press calls, determining response and ensuring timely response.
• Maintains list of local reporters, managing and monitoring interactions with them to ensure a seamless experience with the company and consistency of message.
• Helps develop and disseminate key messaging materials to internal stakeholders to ensure consistency of message.
• Responsible for internal communications stories for the company's internal newsletters.
• Executes a strategy for proactively promoting the company's corporate social responsibility efforts.
• Works with the Avangrid Social Media team to develop and optimize content.
• Manages issues affecting the business and manages crisis communications, including developing responses to potential crises.
• Coordinates company communications, corporate social responsibility and community relations in support of business initiatives, operations and capital investment projects.
Skills and Requirements
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, writing, editing and project management skills, with a proven ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
2. Strong strategic and analytical capability.
3. Must be highly adaptable and resilient to change.
4. Strong ability to work with senior leaders and manage relations with key internal and external stakeholders on communication opportunities and business issues.
5. Ability to multi-task and quickly prioritize projects and work under pressure and tight deadlines.
6. Self-starter, independent worker, strong team and cross-functional collaborator, motivated individual who is able to effectively direct and manage priorities while meeting deadlines for deliverables.
7. Excellent leadership and collaboration skills in effectively managing stakeholders across levels and business functions.
• Experience in a communications-related field such as public relations, journalism, marketing or government/public affairs with responsibility for developing and executing strategic communications initiatives.
• Energy industry experience is a plus, but not a necessity.
• Demonstrated success in building brand, image and company reputation through strategic media relations, social media and other communications related to company positioning, strategic initiatives, executive profiles, earnings and other corporate matters.
• Experience in providing decisive recommendations and strategic counsel to executive staff, Vice Presidents, Business Directors and others.
• Experience creating and editing corporate internal communications, executive messaging, press releases, social media messaging, talking points, speeches, FAQs, etc.
• Strong track record of media relations experience, including providing statements to, and conducting interviews with the media, and preparing senior executives for media interviews and other events.
• Experience with on-camera media interviews.
• Experience developing plans for and managing crisis communications and adept at managing complex and sensitive business issues.
• Ability to travel within the NYSEG and RG&E service region, project sites, industry conferences, and other business-related locations.
• Travel up to 25%.
• BA/BS degree in communications, government/public affairs, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related work experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.