This is a key position in the Department of Perioperative Services. The Manager of Sterile Processing requires extensive knowledge of all aspects of sterile processing and managerial skills to oversee a complex department that is vital to the operations of the Main Operating Room and all inpatient departments that require sterile instrumentation. The incumbent has a strong background in sterile processing or surgical services as a technician or nurse.
The incumbent has responsibility for strategic planning and leadership of Sterile Processing Department. The incumbent will be responsible for the development of department goals in alignment with organizational goals. Incumbent will manage human, financial, and physical resources. Incumbent proactively assesses risks to quality and service and develops, implements, and continuously makes improvement.
Incumbent has a strong leadership skills to manage a team of technical and administrative staff. The incumbent is actively involved in the operations of the department to ensure quality product is provided to the surgical patient. Incumbent can generate and discuss metrics and reports which are used to achieve department goals. Incumbent has effective communication skills and knowledgeable of human resources processes. Incumbent functions at high level of autonomy while effectively communicating with OR leadership team to ensure collaboration and partnership.
The incumbent possesses the ability to ensure training of staff to perform duties as a Sterile Processing Technician to include: decontamination and/or processing of equipment and instrumentation, instrument assembly, sterilization through methods including but not limited to steam and hydrogen peroxide gas; knowledge of surgical supplies and ability to prepare contents of case carts for surgery. Incumbent has knowledge of instrument tracking systems. Incumbent is knowledgeable of regulatory requirements and best practice based on industry standards.
Incumbent orients, supervises and evaluates Surgical Processing Instrument Technicians with job classification of Sterile Processing Technician I, II, and III; MSO, Surgical Coordinator, and Administrative Analyst
· 10 years' Operating Room or Sterile Processing experience, required
· Minimum 3 years management experience, required
· Bachelor's Degree, strongly preferred
· Certifications: CER, CIS, CHL, strongly preferred
· Strong background and knowledge in all aspects of Sterile Processing including the various methodologies of sterilization, regulatory requirements, and industry standards
· Experience managing department budget including staffing, capital, and operations. Able to manage budget variances
· Generates reports from various sources to measure and work towards set department goals
· Strategic thinker to create and develop department goals in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.