General Motors has a need for qualified Mechanical Journeypersons (i.e, millwrights, pipefitters, toolmakers, and machine repairman.) You will work under minimal supervision with a high level of independent judgement and problem solving. You should be flexible enough to take on and tackle multiple job assignments in a shift.
Preferred Experience Includes:
- Experience with planned maintenance systems and predictive technologies
- Experience with industrial robotics, automation, and conveyance systems
Additional Job DescriptionInterested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
- Maintain, dismantle, repair, and replace mechanical and hydraulic components (e. g. bearings, seals, details, carriers, etc.) on industrial machinery such as shafting, motors, generators, air compressors, engines, pumps, cylinders, gears, couplings, linkages, ball screws, high speed CNC spindles, coolant systems and filters, and combustion equipment and valves
- Layout, assemble, fabricate, maintain, and repair piping systems
- Use various hand or power tools for measuring, cutting, threading, grooving, bending, soldering, assembling, joining, and installing pipes, valves, and fittings
- Read and interpret blueprints for the mechanical operation and assembly of conveyor systems, material handling systems, robots, and other automation
- Operate mobile equipment (e.g. forklifts, vertical lifts, cranes)
- Determine loading requirements to rig equipment and material for lifting
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes
- Fabricate punches, tools, steel rule tools and t-sets to exact specifications
- Plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools or assemblies using blueprints, sketches, or models
- Determine quality of finished products, ensuring defect-free parts, by verifying dimensions, alignment, and clearances for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators
- U.S. Department of Labor Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate in Mechanical trade (millwright, pipefitter, toolmaker, machine repair) or six (6) years of documented experience in a Mechanical trade (notarized documentation required)
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which includecomprehensive assessments, hair drug testing, and a background check
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day, afternoon, or night shifts as well as overtime hours daily, weekend and holidays on those shifts with little notice
General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.
Relocation and travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.