Improving the health of our community in all we do
Northeast Georgia Health System (NGHS) is a non-profit community health system on a mission of improving the health of our community in all we do. Our team cares for more than 1 million people across the region through four hospitals and a variety of outpatient locations. Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) has campuses in Gainesville, Braselton, Winder and Dahlonega - with a total of more than 700 beds and more than 1,100 medical staff members representing more than 50 specialties. NGHS also encompasses Northeast Georgia Physicians Group, a multi-specialty group with more than 65 locations, and The Heart Center of Northeast Georgia Medical Center, a cardiology practice with more than 15 locations.
Patient Care Tech
Schedule: 7:00pm - 7:00am, 2 12 hour shifts per week. Days of the week vary with every other weekend rotation.
Location: NGMC Gainesville S1B Neuro/Renal
S1B Neurology/Renal is a 31-bed unit with four rooms designed for semi-private occupancy. As a neurology and renal care is provided for a wide variety of illnesses and symptoms, including but not limited to:
• Medical Neurological Disorders
• Suspected and/or active CVA, TIA, and seizure
• 24-hour EEG monitoring
• Continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis
• Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
• CIWA (scores up to 16) Patients receive physical, emotional, spiritual and psychosocial support for themselves and their families.
A non-licensed, staff member who is trained to be flexible in a variety of nursing support and transport duties. Performs a variety of clinical tasks including, but not limited to nursing units, cleaning and stocking of patients' rooms and other unit areas, and direct patient care within the scope of defined practice. Functions under the direct supervision of the shift primary nurse. Cares for patients in the adolescent, adult, and geriatric age groups. Performs clinical duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as outlined in policy and procedures.
We're looking for someone who:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Georgia Certified Nursing Assistant or successful completion of Fundamentals of Nursing Course if a nursing student
- Must have Basic Life Support Certification through the American Heart Association
- Previous experience in patient care setting preferred but not required
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Admits mistakes and shortcomings
- Communicates Effectively
- Takes Initiative
- Promotes Teamwork
- Adapts to Change
- Obtains and reports basic patient physiological data (such as vital signs, weight, skin condition, color, and character of urine and stool).
- Utilizes proper body mechanics, provides for positioning, mobility hygiene, ADL, and/or comfort needs according to procedure and direction.
- Monitors p.o. intake and urine output, recording amount on appropriate forms.
- Promptly identifies and reports physical and mental status changes to licensed staff assigned to the patient.
- Organizes patient care and sets appropriate priorities by implementing physician and nursing orders within prescribed time frames.
- Performs therapeutic procedures within the parameters of the job description; reporting patients' response to supervising nurse.
- Makes frequent rounds to patients' room in addition to responding without prompting to patient call lights, instituting appropriate actions.
- Orients patient/family/SO to unit & room. Greets patient & family in a positive pleasant manner with each encounter.
- Explains procedure or care to be provided to patient prior to start of procedure.
- Accurately & timely records patient data and forwards to supervisory staff within established time frames.
- Attains proficiency with all required IT systems to support the clinical staff & accurate documentation of patient care.
- Answers the telephone in a polite and courteous manner: screens and refers all calls appropriately to ensure accurate communication, refers all calls to leave orders for patient care to licensed staff, relays telephone, verbal, and written requests accurately to the appropriate individual (s).
- Places reports (ie:, x-ray, etc.) in patient's chart or insures reports are sent to appropriate units.
- Contributes to patient safety by utilization of Universal Precautions for all patients, careful adherence to NGHS Hand Hygiene policy, providing a safe patient environment (i.e. call light within reach, side-rails up, etc.), obtaining and restocking isolation supplies for patients on Infection Precautions, and completing and documenting equipment cleaning responsibilities as well as maintaining properly functioning equipment. Promptly reports equipment issues to charge nurse.
- Distributes linen and ice to patients as needed in addition to frequently offering refreshments as patient's diet permits.
- Replaces telemetry batteries as needed.
- Performs patient transport functions as needed by the unit.
- Cleans and restocks the nursing district offices and treatment room.
- Changes out sharps containers located in patient rooms and district offices when containers are two-thirds full.
- Replaces glove boxes and disinfectant wipes in patient rooms.
- Prepares room for new admissions. (make sure PPE is stocked, bed is turned down and any appropriate supplies or equipment is available for the incoming patient.
- Participates in staff meeting with no more than two absences per year.
- Reads and responds to e-mails in timely manner.
- Exhibits flexibility in scheduling to meet department staffing needs.
Completes unit specific annual competency assessment requirements (Success Factors & Clinical Competency Checklist) within specific timelines. Physical Demands:
- Frequently lifting up to 50 lbs
- Frequently carrying up to 20 lbs
- Frequent kneeling/stooping/bending
- Frequent standing/walking
- Frequent pushing/pulling
Since first opening its doors in Gainesville in 1951, Northeast Georgia Medical Center has added hospital campuses in Braselton, Barrow and Dahlonega - and become Georgia's most awarded hospital. Some recognitions include being named to these lists:
America's 50 Best Hospitals - Healthgrades
100 Top Hospitals - Truven Health Analytics
100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs - Beckers Hospital Review
America's Top Quality Providers - Carechex
Atlanta's Top 150 Workplaces - Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Healthcare's Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems - Hospitals & Health Networks magazine
NGMC has also been recognized in recent years as Georgia's #1 Hospital for overall hospital care, overall surgical care, heart care, orthopedic surgery, women's care and more.
This job has expired.