I Accountability Objectives:
Responsible for performing phlebotomy in a variety of environments in the inpatient and outpatient settings. The inpatient settings to include the medical/surgical and behavioral medicine areas. This will include all aspects of specimen collection, documentation, and submission to the laboratory for analysis. Other areas of responsibility may include specimen reception, clients offices, or Satellite labs.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
B. Licensure / Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Medical Assistant/Certified Nursing Assistant or Phlebotomy program or equivalent required.
- Two year college degree in biological science or health related field, preferred.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Current cert one of the following: AMT (American Medical Technologist) ASCP (American Soc of Clinical Pathologists); NCPT (National Soc of Certified Phlebotomy Technicians); or NCCT (Nat'l Center for Competency Testing); See below for cert. requirement.
- Should associate not complete the certification as stated in #1 above within 12 months of start of position, he/she shall no longer be qualified for position and will be "displaced" in accordance with bargaining language.
- Current Heart Saver (HS) certification.
II Position Qualifications:Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.D. Experience•
- Fast paced patient service environment. Must be able to stand, walk and move for up to 100% of work hours. Minimal sitting involved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, medical laboratory orders, container types, anatomy and physiology as it relates to phlebotomy.
- Familiarity with PC applications preferred.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
A minimum of 3 months inpatient phlebotomy or working experience in a medical or health industry in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of patient care - OR - A documented successful completion of phlebotomy externship.III Duties / Responsibilities:
Collect blood samples using appropriate phlebotomy technique and following all policies related to handling of blood specimens. Recognizes factors that affect specimen collection procedures and test results such as specific patient indicators, order of draw, and timed specimens. Proficient in a variety of collection techniques such as vacutainer, syringe, butterfly, and capillary methods. Rotates to outpatient labs as needed. Carry hospital pager in order to respond to department needs including communication, staffing, and stats. Rotates to inpatient/outpatient specimen processing areas. To include answering the phone, putting specimens on automated line, centrifuging, manually logging in specimens, managing stat paging, answering requests for results, and courier dispatch for outreach operations, entry of lab test requests into the computer. Performs miscellaneous computer duties as assigned. Completes daily job assignments and follows Job Instruction Sheets. Maintains equipment and work area in a clean manner. Works independently with minimal supervision. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the competencies/essential functions satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job.
IV Dept/Unit Specific:
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
Not ApplicableV Working Conditions:
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This section describes the anticipated typical means of accomplishing the essential functions of the job.
- Should you be unable to accomplish any function, or to perform it in the manner described, you may request reasonable accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Idaho Human Rights Act.
- Your request for reasonable accommodation should be accompanied by a description of how you propose to perform the essential function.
- In a typical day, the colleague may sit for 10%, stand for 40%, and walk for 50% of the day; occasional bending/stooping (50% of work time).
- Position requires the use of hands for simple and firm grasping and fine manipulating.
- Position requires high level of mental concentration to attain established deadlines. Working environment includes frequent interruptions.
- Has potential for exposure to infectious diseases, hazardous waste and chemicals.
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
This job has expired.