About Veolia North America
A subsidiary of Veolia group, Veolia North America (VNA) offers a full spectrum of water, waste and energy management services, including water and wastewater treatment, commercial and hazardous waste collection and disposal, energy consulting and resource recovery. VNA helps commercial, industrial, healthcare, higher education and municipality customers throughout North America. Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Veolia North America has more than 10,000 employees working at more than 350 locations across the continent. Please visit our website www.veolianorthamerica.com.
Pay Rate: $21.81 - Higher Salary For License
Veolia's comprehensive benefits package includes paid time off policies, as well as health, dental and vision insurance. In addition, employees are also entitled to participate in an employer sponsored 401(k) plan, to save for retirement. Pay and benefits for employees represented by a union are outlined in their collective bargaining agreement.
Under the direction of the Operations Supervisor, Operations Lead Personnel and in coordination of fellow Operations Personnel the incumbent will perform a variety of basic tasks relevant to the day-to-day operation of the wastewater treatment plant facilities, processes and equipment, including process and equipment rounds, recording operations data and information, making observations and reporting on variations in operating conditions, maintaining logs and other required reports and forms, and provides input for corrective actions and implements corrective actions as directed. Assist Operations in efforts to maintain efficient and cost effective facility operations while maintaining compliance with all Corporate and Regulatory environmental, health and safety rules and requirements.
- Works a scheduled shift and will be subject to required emergency call in or shift coverage as Operational needs demand.
- Under the direct Supervision of Shift Supervisor or Lead person may be required to perform some of the following tasks depending on the station assigned for that shift:
- Record and Read meters for (pumps, gauges, motors etc.…) in accordance with all regulatory requirements.
- Record tank levels, sludge blanket levels.
- Operate equipment pertinent to assigned workstation (GBT, BFP, overhead lifting gib crane, pumps).
- Open, close and adjust valves for tanks & pumps.
- Observe their process areas (pumps, motors, valves, sewage color, odor, flow) record their findings.
- Collect samples for laboratory analysis.
- Receive chemicals in bulk, drum and tote form.
- Adjust / bleed pumps as directed.
- Keep workstation safe and clear of debris.
- Inspect equipment for proper functionality and refer to Maintenance for any necessary repairs.
- Maintain a log book for the station they are operating.
- Create work requests for equipment found to be malfunctioning or broken.
- Work is performed both inside and outside with exposure to all kinds of weather conditions.
- Incumbent may be occasionally exposed to some noise, dust, fumes, gases, greases, oils, electrical energy, solvents, and vibrations. Incumbent may work on slippery/uneven surfaces, around machinery with moving parts, moving objects/vehicles, and ladder/scaffolding, below ground and may be exposed to water and other liquid materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent, Associates Degree (or equivalent experience) in Environmental Science, Engineering, Biology/Laboratory or related fields preferred.
- Can be substituted for Trade School/Military Service or Technical School.
- Entry level, 1-3 years' experience in Wastewater Treatment plant Operation holding a wastewater treatment operator certification or;
- 1+ years' experience working in the Wastewater Treatment or related field preferred or;
- Basic knowledge of Wastewater Treatment Process, preferably in an activated sludge plant with sludge digestion, thickening and dewatering equipment.
- Experience with operations systems and all related to the water/wastewater utilities industry is preferred.
- Requires good reading, math, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, and record data from meters, gauges, scales, panels, computer consoles, and other equipment.
- Ability to understand/execute written and oral instructions, read/understand technical instructions.
- Ability to interpret data and information from technical service manuals and drawings.
- Knowledge of Windows, MS Office Suite, and other computer based systems.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory sampling, testing and documentation.
- Ability to adjust chemical feeds and processing equipment as directed to maintain compliance.
- Basic knowledge of wastewater treatment equipment and processes.
- Must have the ability to maintain effective working relations w/management, supervisors and staff.
- Must be able to work as a team in a teamwork-oriented environment.
- Must be safety conscious and able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Valid NYS Driver's license and the ability to meet risk management guidelines.
- Possesses valid NY State Class 1A Wastewater Treatment License is preferred, OR;
- Ability to attend classes required for obtaining valid NY State Wastewater Treatment license and obtain license within 18 months.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this include close vision and distance vision.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Disclaimer: The salary, other compensation, and benefits information is accurate as of the date of this posting. The Company reserves the right to modify this information at any time, subject to applicable law.