The Project Manager/Estimator (PM/E) performs different functions assigned by the onsite Senior Project Manager. The position is primarily estimating but may also involve tasks like conducting research, procuring project material, assisting team members during project development, scheduling and updating project data; managing paperwork, maintain/updates status logs, and contributes to progress reports.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review and evaluate project plans and specifications, bid documents, and other relevant project documents to identify what is needed for a project and to create a bid proposal.
- Prepares bid documents including specific scope letter for each project,
- Identify any issues, conflicts, and other problems in the bid documents.
- Identify strategies to create bid advantages.
- Reviews quotes to confirm adherence to quote requests and accuracy of quotes received.
- Calculate the cost of electrical construction based on reviewing and evaluating available documents.
- Lead estimating close out meetings
- Price change orders as directed by Senior PM and be able to meet with customer to explain and defend the pricing
- Assist project managers in taking care of the fine details of a large project
- Conduct assessments to identify and seek solutions to project problems in order to reduce downtime
- Build and maintain good working relationships with clients to ensure complete customer satisfaction and good prospects for future business
- Coordinate and ensure smooth operation of multiple projects from start to finish
- Collect data, analyze it, and help project managers to set objectives for a project
- Ensure changes in project plan are communicated to team members
- Carry out quality reviews and checks to ensure project operations are in line with industry best practices
- Fill in for project managers by managing daily operations in their absence
- Respect decision-making boundaries and know when to call the attention of the manager.
- Analyze project for value engineering options while taking into account specific job conditions that may affect labor and material to be purchased and installed.
- Anticipate potential problems and devise solutions proactively.
- Request material and equipment quotes from vendors and equipment suppliers.
- Develops and maintains a positive relationship with vendors & customers
- Assist in preparing budget pricing.
- Keeps Senior Project Manager and all others involved in projects current on bid progress.
- BSc/BA in engineering, building science or relevant field
- At least 3 years of combined experience in estimating or project management in the construction industry - preferably electrical contracting
- Knowledgeable with a wide variety of electrical materials and methods of installation
- Outstanding communication and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
Mostly office-based. Typical working hours for the Project Manager/Estimator may vary. Generally, Monday - Friday during normal business hours, but when deadlines approach they may be required to work much longer hours, including some weekend work. The PM/E in the field may be required to work out of the office and sometimes to stay away from home for short to long periods of time. Some travel may be required for training/continuing education.
While performing the duties of this job, the PM/E may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration; may be exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites (weather, noise, etc.).Physical requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a project manager to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The PM/E is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.Direct reports
The PM/E may occasionally oversee project coordinators, project engineers May also work with labor superintendents and general foreman.Benefits:
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
This job has expired.
- Health & Welfare (medical, dental & vision)
- 401(k) with competitive match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program