GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Reporting to the Program Manager, High-Level Disinfection and Sterilization, will be responsible for the acquisition, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of information to support of the High-Level Disinfection and Sterilization Program (HLDS) and its subcommittees to achieve established goals and program outcomes. The HLDS Program develops an organizational structure focused on standardizing best practices related to instrument and endoscope reprocessing, training, data reporting, resource utilization, facilities planning, and quality assurance efforts in locations across the MGH. The incumbent will interact with business leaders at all levels throughout the organization including Physicians, Finance, Sterile Processing, Nursing, Administrative Directors and Managers, and MGB resources to execute initiatives. S/he must be able to work independently, and collaboratively, to locate and validate information, identify information requirements, and communicate specifications to team members and leaders. Responsible and accountable for maintaining operational and administrative infrastructure within the program. The Project Specialist will also manage the resources associated to these projects. The role is expected to work collaboratively with the Sterile Processing Department and will intermittently support projects involving Procedural Services.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- High-Level Disinfection & Sterilization Program
- Attends the High-Level Disinfection and Sterilization Task Force meetings and associated subcommittees, developing presentations, writing minutes, and coordinating follow-up on action items resulting from the meetings.
- Implements unified weekly and monthly reports describing the program's progress to leadership and appropriate governance committees.
- Maintain documentation systems as processes evolve and become more standardized; assigns department representatives for ongoing Tracer participation.
- Participates in the hospital-wide Interdisciplinary Tracer Program to learn, define, and evaluate reprocessing practices in all active reprocessing areas; develop a familiarity with AAMI standards over time.
- Act as a critical participant in the evolution and continued development and implementation of the High-Level Disinfection and Sterilization Program.
- Closely adheres to project plans, charters and clinical support resources to ensure objectives are met.
- Ensures assessments are cataloged for all active reprocessing locations.
- Participate in the development and implementation of comprehensive unit-specific remediation plans that may include the following elements, employee training, workflow development, inventory assessment and conversion, and design/construction. Remediation plans aim to reduce the breadth of reprocessing locations and process variability to ensure sustainable best practices are in place.
- Practices sound risk management throughout the project process.
- Develop new and unique ways to improve data and information delivery, operations and to create new opportunities.
- Develop reporting/analytic solutions, but also be able to assess/determine business impact, draw meaningful conclusions, and make recommendations for actions.
- Gathers and compiles documentation of metrics and data sources, routine, ad hoc reporting to facilitate replication.
Sterile Processing and Procedural Service Committee
- Develop a familiarity with EPIC and SPM instrument tracking software to appreciate underused capabilities for structuring improvements in departmental workflows.
- Completes cross-institutional project initiatives and informs leadership of best practices that may be adopted from other hospital departments or procedural areas.
- Supports the Central Sterile Processing & Supply department and Procedural Services Committee to support the strategic alignment of the department, hospital, and systems-based sterile processing functions and workstreams.
- Provide training to other team members within Sterile Processing.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Innovative, superior organizational skills and the ability to work well with individuals at all levels within the institution.
- Possess analytical and data-handling skills.
- Experience managing small to medium projects required.
- Experience with data analysis and interpretation.
- Experience with query, business intelligence, and data visualization tools.
- Exhibit competence and comfort presenting information in group settings.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in varying stages of development.
- Ability to be resourceful, take initiative, and exercise keen judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
- Ability to work collaboratively with data systems analysts and inventory technicians to collect and analyze data and implement changes within healthcare information systems.
- Strong understanding and applied use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
Education: Masters degree preferred, Bachelors Degree required.
Experience: Experience performing project management and advanced data analytics in a healthcare setting.
Preferred: Experience utilizing Smartsheet, Epic, SPM tracking system and work within a Sterile Processing or Perioperative Services setting.
- Practices fiduciary responsibility for assigned programs and projects.
- The position is fulltime, day shift. HYBRID**
- The office is located at MGH with members of Sterile Processing and Perioperative Services.
- Office environment with frequent travel to patient care areas required.
- Intermittent exposure to the Operating Room and Sterile Processing is required, including wearing surgical scrubs when necessary.
The information contained in this document is intended to describe the general contents and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills of individuals so classified.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.