Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County. Physicians provide a comprehensive range of primary and specialty care services at the 327-bed hospital and outpatient facilities both on and off of the Eskenazi Health downtown campus as well as at 10 Eskenazi Health Center sites located throughout Indianapolis.
Job Role Summary
The Staff Nurse II provides clinical care and uses coordination skills for every patient served. This includes understanding of the expected patients served in the unit'(s) nursing care is delivered using the Eskenazi Health Model of Care-Synergy, the ability to coordinate with the patient and family/loved ones and other healthcare disciplines to ensure care is appropriate to meet patient care needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Leadership & Communication:
- Promotes a healthy work environment for all that provide care while encouraging collaboration for excellence in patient care outcomes
- Effectively performs all nursing functions in an efficient manner and in accordance with policies, procedures, the Indiana Nursing Practice Act, the Eskenazi Health Model of Care-the Synergy Model demonstrating synergy characteristics: clinical judgment, advocacy, caring practices, collaboration, systems thinking, response to diversity, clinical inquiry and facilitation of learning
- Utilizes and documents the nursing process thru appropriate assessment, planning, implementation, & evaluation of patient care as evidenced by client/staff observation; care acknowledges physiological, psychological, spiritual, diversity & cultural needs
- Engages patient/significant other with appropriate health information in a timely manner & shares written informational material as evidenced by feedback & observation; documentation is reflected in the medical record
- Demonstrates ability to handle emergency situations in a prompt, calm & professional manner
- Participates in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs & seeking appropriate assistance or educational offerings
- Demonstrates understanding, supports & participates the role of shared governance at the unit & hospital- wide level to help engage the staff & unit to achieve success in unit-based & organizational goals
This encompasses all service/care to all: patients, families, staff, physicians, students & other departments to meet department & organizational goals and is reflective of best evidence of practice
- Demonstrates the understanding of the customer service concept & skills & applies to professional practice.
- Provides personal & individualized patient care to provide comfort & well-being for the patient acknowledging physiological, psychological, spiritual, and cultural needs
- Hourly Rounds consistently within the shift to all patients or areas covered to assess care and service
- Provides timely feedback on any customer service issue to the right person/department & participates objectively in the review of customer service issues & service recovery in a timely fashion with the unit/department leadership
- Demonstrates effective communication skills in working with staff, patients/families, physicians, other departments & external contacts
Encompasses understanding of regulatory readiness, patient safety & quality improvement efforts for the units/departments providing care
- Maintains safe patient care & advocates for patient safety
- Participates in clinical or operational performance improvement using evidence-based practice
Financial and Operational Management:
Encompasses the effective stewardship or resources for department and organization
- Demonstrates ability to ensure effective care is given based upon patient care needs.
- Facilitates patient throughput throughout the shift
- Collaborates with the nursing manager or shift coordinator regarding staffing to help ensure adequate & appropriate staffing reflective of census & patient care needs
Encompasses the engagement & spirit of teamwork among all of our employees & other departments to foster excellence in patient care & meet departmental/organizational goals
- Effectively acts as preceptor and supports the development of other staff & learners
- Maintains a positive & calming working relationship with all, and demonstrates excellent customer service skills in all interactions
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of 1 year working clinical nursing experience as an RN.
- Current Indiana license as a Registered Nurse or eligibility for license.
- Current BLS certification; other certifications may be required in specific units of practice
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited college or university. Must obtain a BSN within 5 years of hire date for all ASN graduates hired on or after 3/14/16.
- Demonstrates the following skills and abilities:
- operates specialized equipment
- competence/accountability in preparing and administering medications and treatments according to policy and procedures
- effective communication skills incorporating listening, effective interviewing techniques with patients and staff appropriate to age of the patient
- knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served
- knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data/interpret appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to age-specific needs
- uses age-appropriate communication and cognitive skills detailed in the department/area/unit job- specific/age-specific competencies
- fundamental nursing theories, current clinical concepts, diseases/symptoms, trauma, treatments/medications, triage, appropriate diagnostic/therapeutic procedures and interventions
- functions as a member of a health care team, delegate responsibilities/duties appropriately
- follows oral/written instructions, records/interprets information accurately
- competency in assessing, responding to patient status or needs, and interpreting results
- recognizes and reacts to changes in patient status, documents and reports changes
- Performs CPR and other technical skills
- Positions patients
- Must be able to wash hands thoroughly and frequently
- Must be able to help evacuate patients via stairwells
- Critical thinking skills are essential
Accredited by The Joint Commission and named one of the nation's 150 best places to work by Becker's Hospital Review for four consecutive years and Forbes list of best places to work for women, and Forbes list of America's best midsize employers' Eskenazi Health's programs have received national recognition while also offering new health care opportunities to the local community. As the sponsoring hospital for Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services, the city's primary EMS provider, Eskenazi Health is also home to the first adult Level I trauma center in Indiana, the only verified adult burn center in Indiana, the first community mental health center in Indiana and the Eskenazi Health Center Primary Care - Center of Excellence in Women's Health, just to name a few.Nearest Major Market:
This job has expired.