Do you want to work with the latest technologies to produce cutting-edge, industry-changing technology and make a difference in people's lives?
As an ACT team member, you will design and develop IT solutions supporting our important mission: helping people achieve education and workplace success. You can be part of bringing this goal to life every day, reaching 10 million people in all 50 states and 140 countries. Our team members provide assessments and insights to improve lives.
ACT offers an outstanding benefits package, including 30 days of paid time off, medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous holidays, and retirement benefits. We encourage work/life balance.
We are seeking to fill several Software Engineer I or II positions to help us fulfill our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. Preference is to have these positions located at the ACT Headquarters in Iowa City, Iowa with team members working either full-time onsite or a combination of onsite and remote upon demonstrated competency around the work responsibilities. We are also considering candidates outside of the area who will work 100% time remote.
The Software Engineer is responsible for the design and development of IT solutions in support of the Data Engineering Solutions teams and is responsible for ACT's data pipeline. The job includes development in Kafka and Java integrating with Bitbucket for source control, and Jenkins for builds, including development in both Container and Serverless computing environments. This role will participate in the Agile process and ensure product quality, robustness, scalability, and consistency.
Both positions require Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems or related area of study, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Software Engineer I - entry-level with ability to learn new technologies quickly and effectively; expereince through coursework, internships and/or other on-the-job experience that includes coding.
Software Engineer II - requires at least two years of IT experience that includes coding in Java.
What you will be working on:
This could be the job for you if you have (minimum requirements):
- Design flexible, scalable solutions, utilizing your skills in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented programming
- Build, customize, deploy, and manage software in a continuous integration environment, including automated build, test and deployment infrastructure
- Monitor product scalability, reliability, consistency, and performance
- Actively participate in design / architectural discussions, grooming user stories, sprint demos, and daily scrums in a Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) approach Recommend changes to better serve our customers
It's a plus if you have:
- Ability to use JSON and XML
- Understanding of relational and/or no-SQL databases (MongoDB)
- Collaboration - ability to work as part of a scrum team, fillowing SAFe agile practices and taking ownership of assigned tasks; work effectively with individuals inside and outside the organization
- Communication - ability to communicate effectively across all levels in the organization
- Change management - ability to manage change and navigate positively in an environment experiencing change at a fast pace in a rapidly transforming organization
- Initiative - results-oriented; uses self-starter approach, ability to multi-task, proactively anticipates and acts on information and details needed, completes tasks with little to no direction
- Accountability - takes responsibility for activities related to scrum team execution; follows through on commitments; acknowledges and learns from mistakes without blaming others; recognizes the impact of one's behavior
- Strong knowledge of version control such as Git
- Expertise developing applications in a microservice architecture utilizing REST API web services
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Experience using Java
Your Work Makes a Difference
- Experience working in a microservice architecture
- Experience with AWS cloud hosting solutions
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Informatica MDM knowledge
- Kafka knowledge
- Ability to integrate code into automated deployment pipeline
ACT team members are part of an organization dedicated to an important mission: Helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Everything we do contributes to this mission, including team member events, professional development resources, community outreach opportunities and solid benefit offerings. Helping team members achieve education and workplace success of their own advances the ACT mission on a daily basis.
You will be joining a fun and exciting SAFe Agile software development team that is focused primarily on back end streaming data processing and data warehousing with some UI development focused on developing innovative software solutions for ACT.
When ACT was founded in 1959, it disrupted the assessment industry with a new approach to helping students better understand their readiness so they could take steps to improve it. By leveraging our expertise and authority in assessment and research, we will again disrupt the industry-helping more people learn, better measure their progress, and improve their navigation through life's transitions.
More than ever before, ACT is fulfilling its mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. We're doing it by pushing the boundaries of learning innovation through the work of our people, who we call team members because we're all in this together.
We know transformation does not come without challenge. That's why ACT invests in a variety of experiences for team members to strengthen their connections, explore ideas, learn from customers, and celebrate success.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!