We are seeking a Software Engineer II, Data Engineering Solutions with at least 2 years of experience to help us fulfill our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. This position has the option to be remote or onsite at the ACT Headquarters in Iowa City, Iowa.
The Software Engineer II is responsible for the design and development of IT solutions in support of the Data Engineering Solutions teams. The Software Engineer II is responsible for ACT's data pipeline. The job includes development in Kafka and Java integrating with Bitbucket for source control, and Jenkins for builds, including development in both Container and Serverless computing environments. This role will participate in the Agile process and ensure product quality, robustness, scalability, and consistency.
What you will be working on:
This could be the job for you if you have (minimum requirements):
- Design flexible, scalable solutions, utilizing your skills in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented programming
- Independently build, customize, deploy, and manage software in a continuous integration environment, including automatied build, test and deployment infrastructure
- Proactively monitor product scalability, reliability, consistency, and performance
- Actively participate in design / architectural discussions, grooming user stories, sprint demos, and daily scrums in a Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) approach. Recommend changes to better serve our customers
It's a plus if you have:
- Demonstrated ability to develop software solutions
- Strong understanding of Java
- Ability to integrate code into automated deployment pipelines
- Strong understanding of RESTful APIs
- Ability to use JSON and XML
- Strong knowledge of version control such as Git
- Demonstrated relational and/or no-SQL database skills (MongoDB)
- Ability to work as part of a scrum team, following SAFe agile practices and taking ownership of assigned tasks
- Collaboration - work effectively with individuals inside and outside the organization, including ability to work as part of a scrum team following SAFe agile practices
- Communication - ability to communicate effectively across all levels in the organization
- Change management - ability to manage change and navigate positively in an environment experiencing change at a fast pace in a rapidly transforming organization
- Initiative - uses self-starter approach, ability to multi-task, results-oriented, proactively takes ownership of assigned tasks related to scrum team execution, including anticipating and proactively planning work across sprints
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or Information Systems or related area of study, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
- Minimum of two years of progressive IT experience that includes coding in Java
- Expertise developing applications in a microservice architecture utilizing REST API web services
- Agile software development experience
Your Work Makes a Difference
- Experience working in a microservice architecture
- Experience with AWS solutions
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with Kafka
ACT team members are part of an organization dedicated to an important mission: Helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Everything we do contributes to this mission, including team member events, professional development resources, community outreach opportunities and solid benefit offerings. Helping team members achieve education and workplace success of their own advances the ACT mission on a daily basis.
You will be joining a fun & exciting SAFe Agile software development team that is focused primarily on back end streaming data processing & data warehousing with some UI development focused on developing innovative software solutions for the company.
When ACT was founded in 1959, it disrupted the assessment industry with a new approach to helping students better understand their readiness so they could take steps to improve it. By leveraging our expertise and authority in assessment and research, we will again disrupt the industry-helping more people learn, better measure their progress, and improve their navigation through life's transitions.
More than ever before, ACT is fulfilling its mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. We're doing it by pushing the boundaries of learning innovation through the work of our people, who we call team members because we're all in this together.
We know transformation does not come without challenge. That's why ACT invests in a variety of experiences for team members to strengthen their connections, explore ideas, learn from customers, and celebrate success.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!
This job has expired.