If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami has an exciting opportunity for a Senior, Administrative Officer in the Department of Pathology. The Senior Administrative Officer serves as the administrative leader and senior management advisor to the Chair(s) and or other senior leadership within the organization. The primary responsibilities of this position are to generate, manage, and interpret strategic information; provide financial management and accountability for all Department resources; and provide administrative infrastructure to ensure organizational and department goals are achieved and faculty and staff thrive.
The incumbent in the this role is expected to perform the following core duties and responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.CORE QUALIFICATIONS Education:
- Develops, obtains approval for, and directs short and long-term strategic business plans for the Department, while actively serving as the senior financial and administrative manager. Prepares business analyses, funding plans, and develops proposals; implements plans for new programs; and designs and executes changes to existing programs.
- Ensures successful completion of these plans and programs.
- Oversees all operational activity for the department to include directing strategic business, programmatic, policy development and operational planning in partnership with the Chair and senior department leaders.
- Serves as the administrative liaison for Department programs at affiliate sites and within the division.
- Ensures administrative services in the Department are compliant with all applicable policies and procedures.
- Plans and manages all financial areas including all aspects of revenue and expense management.
- Provides administrative direction and coordination of day-to-day functions, including those involving other entities whose work impacts the business of the Department.
- Oversees the administrative management of clinical programs to include analysis of charge capture, reimbursement patterns, management of billing processes/practices, clinical productivity, development, negotiation and execution of contracts.
- Understands all grants and contracts funding sources and how they impact Departmental funds flow, faculty effort, etc.
- Leads the analytical review of monthly budget reports to satisfy requirements of sponsor agency, institution, and investigators for planning, budgeting, auditing, and oversight.
- Manages research space, facilities and resources, equipment, and the disposition thereof.
- Refines and develops an administrative structure that provides the necessary level of support services needed for the Department's continued success and strategic growth.
- Oversees departmental human resources matters in the implementation of the varied policies and procedures for faculty, staff, residents/fellows, and other personnel.
- Partners with Human Resources in the resolution of employee relations issues.
- Ensures departmental employment activities and practices are in compliance with University or Health System.
- Provides advice and counsel to administrative leaders on personnel decisions and actions, including promotions, salary actions, performance evaluations, training, performance management, and terminations. Ensuring training, evaluation, and performance needs of staff including compliance, HIPAA, and information systems security requirements.
- Oversees aspects of faculty appointment, promotion/tenure, and non-renewal processes within the Department, ensuring adherence to guidelines and timelines.
- Manages financial resources for the Department to achieve optimal utilization, including financial planning, budgeting, and accounting functions.
- Coordinates, monitors, and manages separate budgetary units in multiple entities.
- Promotes high standards and holds staff and faculty accountable for financial management policies involving personnel/payroll, purchasing, budget management, and travel.
- Directs the planning, budgeting, and accounting functions for operating, capital, grant, and gift budgets; employing appropriate stewardship of available funding streams.
- Leads the process for the allocation of funding of faculty salaries and clinical incentive plans.
- Assists in the recruitment of diverse faculty, with appropriate expertise to meet the clinical, educational and research needs of the department.
- Ensures internal control oversight and compliance with laws and regulations, safeguarding of assets, compliance with University policies and procedures, reliability of internal and external reporting, and efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Creates an effective control environment, conducts risk assessment, implements and monitors controls.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field requiredCertification and Licensing:
Minimum 7 years of relevant experience requiredKnowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Department Specific Functions
- Commitment to the University's core values.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and train others.
- Knowledge of budget control methods, policies, and procedures.
- Supports and develops along with the Chair strategic goals for Laboratories, Professional Services (faculty and staff), Research, Education, Billing and Compliance, Finance, Business Development, and Innovations.
- Will lead together with IT department and participate in systems upgrades or new implementations (medical record and digital pathology) for laboratory and professional services.
- Negotiates professional and laboratory services with partners such as Jackson Health System, VA and others.
- Oversees Research initiatives to ensure we support the clinical enterprise for requested laboratory testing and/or professional services being requested. This includes updating fee schedules.
- Provides support and review all contracts being renewed or new contracts.
- Monitors closely with the chair the faculty productivity to ensure proper staffing.
- Works with the team to ensure process are being reviewed and improvements are being made as necessary.
- Works with Billing Director to ensure proper charge capture for all the services being rendered.
- Establishes new consultation services for the Pathologist to include tumor boards.
- Establishes Diversity, Equity and Inclusion plan for the department.
- Maintains a positive workplace culture and ensures staffing is engaged with the strategic goals of the school and department.
- Ensures that there are checks and balances for all areas of the department to ensure compliance.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field required
Master's degree in business or healthcare preferredExperience
- Minimum of 7 years related work experience in finance and health care, particularly an academic medical center, managing large and complex organizations, ideally including research administration
- Significant management experience in a faculty-driven environment.
- Experience in using computerized accounting and financial information systems.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to take administrative ownership for the Department and to gain the confidence of faculty, staff, leaders, colleagues, etc.
- Proven innovation and initiative to anticipate, develop, and implement new procedures, processes, and best practices.
- Proven ability to develop, analyze, organize, and execute project objectives to achieve organizational goals and implement strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with people of diverse racial, cultural and ethnic identities, styles, beliefs, and functional responsibilities; treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Proven ability to research, gather, and organize information to conceptualize concise reports using various resources.
- Excellent negotiation skills. Demonstrated counseling techniques with the ability to act as a facilitator, exercise diplomacy, professionalism, responsiveness, a high degree of flexibility, and resolve concerns and conflicts between individuals and among multiple members of a group in a fair and equitable manner.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: