Senior Staff Electrical Design Engineer
At Hypertherm, innovation is a valued ingredient of our success. As our new Sr. Staff Electrical Design Engineer, you will design and develop state-of-the-art power electronic solutions from initial concepts to finished products working with our Light Industrial Systems Team of four (4) engineers and three (3) technicians.
Hypertherm is a 100% Associate-owned company, whose mission is to provide customers with the best industrial cutting solutions in the industry. Globally focused, we design, manufacture, and support the world's leading cutting solutions with a proud history of over 50 years.This position is a key driver for next generation products and solutions.
Our ideal candidate is a seasoned Power Systems Engineer with 12 or more years of experience. This individual would be experienced in industrial product design, covering the following areas: DSP controlled power electronics, PCB layout, power magnetic designs, and analog and mixed signal technologies in a lean build manufacturing environment. This individual would have experience with a manufacturing environment that produces products in excess of 10K per year.
Ways you willbe empoweredto shape our future:
Who you are and the experience you will bring:
- Research, design, develop, and test inverter-based plasma power supplies in excess of 10KW
- Design for IoT with connected product architectures
- Work closely with manufacturing for Design for Manufacturing/Assembly (DFx)
- Create new product designs and improve past designs by mapping engineering specifications to meet marketing requirements while balancing cost vs. function in design decisions
- Provide strategic leadership on next generation electronics across engineering and other cross-functional teams
- Provide regular updates to the Engineering Leaders and other relevant parties on progress within the work plan to ensure coordination across engineering and cross-functional teams
- Verify designs against function and robustness specifications to ensure products perform with sufficient margin and reliability
- Successfully work within a team environment including mentoring less experienced engineers
- Work hand-in-hand in a lab environment with critical lab technician support
- Support Production/Manufacturing, internal testing and external customers when presented with quality/support issues
- Continuously improve existing methods and processes to facilitate efficient delivery of high quality products to customers
- Maintain existing electrical documentation including processing ECO's
Preferred experience that differentiates you:
Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 12 years of power design experience of highly technical industrial products.
- Electronic circuit design experience in power electronics, mixed signal, analog, and DSP controlled systems including:
- Switching Power Supply Design; 5KW and above
- Working knowledge of Buck, Boost, Half/Full Bridge and PFC conversion circuits
- Hands-on experience & working knowledge of inverter-based power conversion circuits
- Design experience with IGBT, transistors, Bi-Polar, MOSFET, Op Amps, Comparators, A/D-D/A converters.
- Schematic capture and PCB design experience. Altium Designer experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of analog simulation tools experience such as LTSPICE or equivalent
- Master's Degree
- Experience and working knowledge with wired and wireless communication protocols like Wifi, RFID, Ethernet, Ethercat, CAN, MODBUS, and USB
- Design experience with DSP controllers and PIC microcontrollers
- EMI/EMC design experience
- Working knowledge of DFT/DFM techniques
- Experience with US and international regulatory requirements and implications
- Familiar with batteries and battery charging circuits
- Transformer design experience a plus
Lebanon, NH (Relocation assistance provided)
Besides our incredible culture,
some of the benefits you can expect with a career at Hypertherm:
Global, 100% employee-owned company for over 50 years
- Employee Stock Ownership
- Four days/year Community Service Time
- Strong commitment to Environmental Stewardship
Hypertherm is proud to be anEqual Opportunity Employer andwe welcome all applications. All employment decisions are basedonbusiness need, job requirements and our values as an associate-owned company without regardto race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin,disability,or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
CURRENT ASSOCIATES OR TEMPORARY ASSOCIATES: Please apply via your internal Workday career account.