Primary Function of Position:
Surgeons need to see clearly in order heal their patients. Surgeons use the daVinci Surgical System for extended continuous duration under the intense stress of a surgical environment. Visual clarity and precise representation of the surgical field along with ease of use and optical comfort across the broad spectrum of surgeons are pillars of Intuitive's vision products.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer must utilize creativity and sound engineering judgement in the design of medical capital equipment components for volume manufacturing processes. The Staff Mechanical Engineer is expected to use machine design and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop, and verify new mechanical designs. They are responsible for key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. The Staff Mechanical Engineer should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time constraints and ambiguous or incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Designing components and producing mechanical drawings in a government regulated environment for volume manufacturing processes which may include cast metal, injection molded plastic, sheet metal stamped, and others
- Working within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs
- Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures to satisfy requirements
- Creating and managing design requirements, specifications, failure-modes analysis, and associated verification and validation testing.
- Generating and owning models for assemblies, components, and drawings, in a government regulated environment.
- Collaborating with vendors, suppliers, quality and manufacturing through the design-transfer and launch
- Mentoring and coaching other engineers in problem solving and technical expertise
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BSME or similar, with minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Experience designing for volume manufacturing processes such as metal casting, plastic injection molding, sheet metal stamping, compression molding, thermoforming, etc.
- Experience in working with optical design engineers to optimize molded plastic optical elements and the molding process
- Proficiency using CAD, FEA and CFD simulation tools, and computational analysis (e.g. Matlab) to optimize designs.
- Direct experience in the design of thermal-management systems, comprising electro-optical elements, heat fins, forced-air cooling, packaging
- Experience in designing and working with machine shops to have fixtures and parts built for quick, prototype evaluation
- Detail-oriented in creating reliable systems that harmonize multiple requirements, e.g. structural, thermal, packaging, acoustic, cleanability, ergonomics, user-interface.
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and reward, and to make work interesting and intellectually vibrant.
- Post-graduate study, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Experience in growing design maturity for product launches, scalable manufacturing processes, design for reliability, yield, and cost.
- Effective collaboration with cross-functional teams like system analysts, field/clinical engineers, human factors, industrial design, UI design, etc.
- Solidworks, Matlab, Ansys and Windchill experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Shift : Day
Travel : 10% of the time
Travel Requirements:10% of the time Shift:Day
This job has expired.