Motiva is an investment-grade, independent, and entrepreneurial enterprise that is a wholly owned affiliate of Saudi Aramco. Motiva strives to be the safest and most profitable downstream business in Saudi Aramco's portfolio within the Americas. Headquartered in Houston, TX, we own and operate North America's largest refinery-with a crude capacity of 630,000 barrels a day! With a network of equity terminals that are supplying gasoline and diesel to thousands of retail outlets under the iconic Shell and 76® brands, we are comprised of 2,500 dedicated US employees working together to bring the country the energy it needs while giving back to the communities!
Furthering Motiva's strategic efforts, we are seeking a Strategy & Business Development Advisor to join our organization! This role will be accountable for delivery of strategic projects and business opportunities related to decarbonization and new energies investments. We are looking for someone who has proven experience in financial modeling & analysis, can digest and communicate complex topics, and is familiar with downstream activities. This role works as part of Motiva's Strategy and Business Development group who leads the development and implementation of Motiva's enterprise corporate strategy.
- Support development and communication of Motiva's strategic objectives for decarbonization and new energies investments
- Work with groups within Motiva and Aramco to implement decarbonization projects aligned with corporate strategic objectives
- Develop opportunities, both internally within Motiva and externally with partners, to participate in new market segments associated with renewable fuels, low-carbon hydrogen, emerging technologies, and other new energies sectors
- Proactively build and maintain external and internal networks
- Understand Motiva's business, value drivers and third-party interactions
- Assess markets and utilize competitive intelligence to identify potential commercial opportunities
- Initial assessment and opportunity screening
- Early maturation and framing of commercial opportunities
- Gain internal support and approvals for further evaluation
- Early testing of the opportunity with external parties, where relevant
- Develop commercial framework including structuring of opportunity
- Conduct commercial due diligence
- Fully evaluate preferred commercial options
- Assessment and management of commercial risks (upside and downside)
- Assess economic feasibility
- Selection of the preferred commercial option
- Determine overall value proposition
- Gain support and approvals
- Organization and management of activities required to mature and execute the commercial aspects of the opportunity
- Ability for private equity modeling of such opportunities is an advantage
Stakeholder Management and Negotiations
- Comprehensive identification of external and internal stakeholders
- Understand stakeholder interests/concerns and interdependencies
- Ensure alignment within Motiva's businesses and functions and obtain executive leadership and CEO and executive leadership endorsement
- Use in-depth analysis, supported by extensive commercial intelligence, to plan for the business transaction
- Develop influencing strategies to engage all relevant parties, including sequencing of engagements
- Develop and execute negotiation strategy
- Manage relationships; address issues as they arise
Develop Contracts and Agreements
Experience and Qualifications Required:Basic Qualifications:
- Maintain knowledge of different types of agreements and how they function
- Assess, interpret and understand the key elements of agreements from a commercial and legal perspective
- Develop contract scenarios and select options to achieve commercial objectives
- Draft agreements that are logically structured with appropriate risk mitigation and in compliance with prevailing legislation
- Bachelor's degree or above in Engineering, Economics or Finance
- 10+ years of experience in the downstream segment with a high degree of commercial acumen rooted in a robust, practical understanding of the downstream and midstream
- Experience developing creative commercial solutions
- Effective management of internal and external stakeholder relationships
- Able to work with minimal supervision and make quick, informed decisions
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization and inform and influence high levels of the organization
- Must be able to work in our Downtown Houston office 4 days a week
- Must be willing to travel to international countries, such as Saudi Arabia, on infrequent occasion as required.
- Comprehensive understanding of project economic principles including DCF modeling
- Experience working closely with Joint Venture and private equity structures
- Ability to develop and execute comprehensive negotiation strategies for complex commercial opportunities
- Ability to develop and execute complex structured commercial opportunities with different partnering strategies
- Experience with private equity partners is not required but is a differentiator
- Results-oriented with emphasis on applying business processes in a fit-for-purpose manner to maximize results
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills and ability to distill complex situations into manageable constituent parts
- Self-motivated with the ability to plan, prioritize and manage multiple work activities simultaneously
We reserve the right to amend or withdraw Motiva jobs at any time, including prior to the closing date. Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or grade.
Applicants for regular U.S. positions must be authorized to work in the United States for Motiva Enterprises LLC without the need for sponsorship of an immigration authorization or visa (for example, TN, H-1B, or other employment-based immigration authorization or visa).
Motiva participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state, or local laws.