School of Earth Society and Environment
Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The System Engineer will work with the School of Earth, Society, and the Environment IT and CyberGIS Center, and will focus on developing and provision cyberinfrastructure solutions for CyberGIS Center. This position will heavily emphasize computational systems operations in support of cyberGIS and geospatial data science projects involving advanced cyberinfrastructure (e.g., high-performance computing, cloud computing and data-intensive computing), software and data integration from heterogeneous sources, back-end services that scale, and databases.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the evolution and operation of cyberinfrastructure resources of the CyberGIS Center
- Design, test and implement operational solutions for cyberGIS software and tools, e.g. online GIS capabilities and geospatial analytics tools
- Design, implement and test geospatial middleware and Web services to integrate cyberGIS with advanced cyberinfrastructure resources
- Develop cyberinfrastructure-based data services for the management of geospatial big data integration and analytics
- Provide technical support, training, and guidance to faculty, staff, collaborators and students
- Attend, contribute to and present at meetings, conferences, and workshops as a representative of the CyberGIS Center
- Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows:
- 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year,
- 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
- Demonstrated experience with managing and operating a high-performance computing environment using operating systems such as Linux.
- Demonstrated experience working with Geographic Information Systems, Esri ArcGIS Desktop and/or ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Experience in managing commercial and open-source geospatial software
- Experience in containerization technologies (e.g. Docker, Singularity)
- Dev-Ops experience
- Experience in managing data-intensive systems like Hadoop
- Experience with installation and management of cloud computing environments (e.g. OpenStack)
- Experience working with storage systems and networking
- Experience with a scripting language such as Perl, Python, or Shell scripts.
Successful candidates will have:
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to explain and clarify ambiguous or complex technical procedures and processes.
- Ability to mentor students.
- Ability to assume responsibility and to work independently with minimum guidance.
- Diplomatic, highly ethical and have strong integrity.
- Work within both the spirit and the letter of University policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise initiative, confidentiality, discretion, and sound independent judgment.
- Teamwork: ability to work harmoniously with faculty, staff, and students from a wide variety of disciplines.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Technical Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Applications must be received by May 10, 2021
. Apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included along with software skills), and academic credentials for any degree Associate's degree and higher including Bachelor's and Master's degrees if applicable (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three professional references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Anand Padmanabhan, email@example.com. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Liberal Arts and Sciences
System Engineer - Geography and Geographic Information Sciences (142886)
Sch Earth, Soc, Environ Admin