GFL Environmental is searching for a motivated helper to join our team in Fairburn, GA! The Helper will safely assist drivers and other employees in the collection of solid waste materials from a residential truck.
• Collect solid waste/recyclable materials from customer premises and/or from the curbside if applicable.
• Load solid waste into the rear or side of waste collection vehicle
• Sort recyclables and deposit materials into the appropriate compartments in collection truck if applicable.
• Assist driver in safe operation of the vehicle by directing the driver in backing up the vehicle and in close space maneuvering.
• Operate equipment on truck to compact trash/materials into vehicle.
• Audit waste collection vehicle for proper equipment prior to leaving branch (i.e., broom, shovel, etc.).
• Report all customer related problems to driver immediately
• Identify, tag and notify driver of prohibited waste items and remove the items from the waste cart or can.
• Follow all safety and equipment checks and precautions in performance of all duties. Comply with all federal, state/provincial, local and company rules on safety and vehicle operation.
• Work closely with supervisor to improve routing efficiencies.
• Maintain predetermined route quality standards.
• Ensure that all required personal protective equipment be worn at all times (i.e., gloves, reflective vest, safety glasses, work boots, etc.)
• Exhibit a professional demeanor, manner and appearance at all times (i.e., meeting customers and/or the general public while on route or in uniform.)
• Follow all safety and equipment checks and precautions in performance of all duties.
• Assist driver in keeping interior cab and exterior of vehicle clean.
• Assist when necessary in sorting, cleaning carts, cleaning warehouse, stacking pallets/gaylords, placement of cans in roll-off container, operation of cardboard compactor.
• Attend safety and branch meetings.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested by management.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) desired, but not required.
• One (1) to three (3) months related experience and/or training desired, but not required.
• Valid driver's license preferred, but not required.
• Must be able to meet relevant criteria for safety sensitive functions according to Company standards
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to read, write, and communicate with others.
• Ability to follow instructions and perform duties under limited supervision
• Ability to operate any equipment necessary to perform job
• Must be able to stand, walk, bend, reach and lift in an outdoor environment 90% of the time.
• Must be able to use hands and fingers, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, climb and balance.
• Visual Requirements: include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to manually lift/move up to 65 pounds regularly
• Ability to manually push/move up to 100 pounds with assistance from another employee
• Frequently exposed to loud noise, humidity, rainy/stormy, extreme hot and cold weather conditions (depending upon season), moving mechanical parts, vibrations, toxic and caustic chemicals, fumes and airborne particles
• Work in outdoor environment up to 100% of the time.
• Works route away from branch location on a continuous basis throughout the day.
• Occasionally work in high precarious places
• Work in motor vehicle traffic conditions constantly.
• Work environment is normally loud
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GFL Environmental is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply. We seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences. GFL will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Subscribe to job alerts and upload your resume!
*By registering with our site, you agree to our